9.01.2007

September First

I can't believe it's September already. Where the hell did the summer go? I don't feel like I've done anything. Probably doesn't help that I haven't taken my summer vacation yet. But I will in one more week. Then it can be fall, even though I'm not ready for it.

Tonight we actually left the house. My friend (and old boss) Lisa turned 40 today and we went to her sort of surprise, but not really birthday party. She knew she was having one, but she thought it was going to be in her backyard. Instead, the surprise part was her husband rented out a banquet hall for it. I had a lot of fun. I saw people I haven't seen in years. Many, many years. For instance, about two months ago I went to my friend Christine's 40th. That's where I last saw Lisa. In talking, we both realized that the last time we saw each other was at Lisa's 30th. I'm not going to let another ten years pass before seeing her again. Or Louise. Or Christine. You get the picture.

On the drive home from Kingston, Ken and I talked about that. It's weird how time flies. And it flies faster the older you get. It really doesn't seem nearly that long since I've seen these people. But life happens and things (and people) get put on the back burner and before you know it, a decade has passed. I have some amazing friends and I hate that I rarely see them. Christine had moved to Georgia a number of years ago, so that makes getting together difficult. She's recently returned to the area. Louise has lived all over, but she's back in the area after most recently living in NYC, I think. Lisa's always been in Saugerties, so I don't have an excuse there. I say I'm going to be better, but I reconnected with my friend Maria from high school a couple years ago and haven't seen her since. I adore her.

I'm such a homebody. I need to do something about that.

No comments: