7.23.2017

101 Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol. 1: Anchor Points


If you've noticed my reading history, I mostly read DC books.  I've got a bunch of Marvel books, too, but DC is my jam.  But if you look at my Marvel books, a big chunk of them are books like this.  Female superheroes, down to earth stories, day in the life type heroes, fun and light.  And this book is no exception.

Kate Bishop decides to set up shop (kind of) as a private investigator.  She immediately starts building an offbeat, quirky supporting cast.  This book is fun, it's funny, it's a joy to read.  Kate really doesn't quite know what she's doing, yet she still succeeds at what she's not all the great at.  At least not yet.  I really hope this book has legs, because I need more of this light-hearted stuff in my library.  It really picks up in tone from the previous Hawkeye series that Kate shared with Clint Barton.  But she's all on her own now and I like that.

Books like this fascinate me in one aspect.  When DC decided to pull their New 52 bullshit, they wiped out anything having to do with Legacy.  At the same time, Marvel was actively building up their line in that department.  We wouldn't have Kate Bishop if not for that.  Now, Marvel has also gone out of the way to fuck that shit up, too, but right now they still have a slight edge over DC in my book.  But not for long, as Rebirth unfolds and Legacy returns to the DCU.

Hawkeye: Kate Bishop Vol. 1: Anchor Points
Writer: Kelly Thompson
Artist: Leonardo Romero, Michael Walsh
Marvel Comics


No comments: