7.22.2017

095 Avengers: Unleashed Vol 1: Kang War One


Mark Waid's Avengers book is the only Avengers book that actually feels like the Avengers to me.  It's not quite where I'd like it, but it's as close to a classic Avengers book as we're going to get.  With this volume, it looks like Marvel renamed and renumbered the book.  Again.  I really hate that, but there isn't anything I can do about it.  I'm sure after volume 2 of this book, the same thing will happen again.  I wish they'd just announce these books as mini-series and be done with it.

Anyway, this is the beginning of a year long Kang War.  It all started in the last iteration of Avengers when The Vision had finally had enough and decided to change time and history by removing Kang from it.  Things don't always go as planned and all hell breaks loose.  The Avengers try to undo what the Vision has done, but that just screws the pooch even more.  Lots of time travel, Avengers from different time periods and multiple versions of Kang.  You need to stay focused to keep on top of things.  This book ends on a cliffhanger setting the stage for working into the story the Avengers Four book I "reviewed" a bunch of posts back.

The book is drawn by Mike Del Mundo.  Now, while I think he's a magnificent artist, I didn't enjoy him in the context of a monthly comic book.  The art just wasn't quite right for me.

Avengers: Unleashed Vol 1: Kang War One
Writer: Mark Waid
Artist: Mike Del Mundo
Marvel Comics

No comments: