7.23.2017

100 Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick By Brick


I wasn't quite sure I was going to read any of the Young Animal books.  I was pretty sure I wasn't the age group these books were being marketed to.  It feels like they're trying to take a fresh, younger approach to the line.  Fresh and younger doesn't always resonate with me, mainly because I'm neither.  But people whose opinions I trust have said nothing but good things about some of these books.  This is my first Young Animal book and I have to say, I wasn't immediately sold on it.  It took a couple of issues for things to start to gel with me, but I think that was done intentionally.  A slow and careful build.  Well, it worked.  This is a Doom Patrol book I can get behind.  While I prefer the more classic superhero version of the team, this is damn good.  After I finished it, all I could think to myself (and spout off to others) is this is a Grant Morrison style Doom Patrol book, only the storytelling is understandable.

Gerard Way goes out of his way to fit the previous histories of the team into the backstory.  I greatly appreciate that.  What happened before still happened.  But this is a new iteration and we're going forward.  I anxiously await the next volume.  I want to see where this goes.

Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick By Brick
Writer: Gerard Way
Artist: Nick Derington, Tom Fowler
Young Animal / DC Comics

No comments: