12.19.2008

Snow

The first big snowstorm of the year hit today and it messed with my day. My plan for today was to go in to work, head home at 4:30 and laze around the house the rest of the night. Didn't quite happen like that. Shortly after getting in to work, everyone started talking about what time they were going to leave. Weather doesn't usually play a factor in whether I work or not, come in late or leave early. I generally go in, work my shift and then leave. But everyone was talking about the snow and getting the hell out of there. Well, everyone except for the scumbags I don't really care much for. When I realized that if I stayed, it would be just me and them, I put a slip in and left a noon with everyone else.

The snow was just starting to fall when I left work. I was hoping it would hold off a little while longer because, since I had a free afternoon, I could run to the vet's office to pick up Lucy's food. The snow started coming down at a really quick pace, but I figured I could still get over there and back before it got bad. What's usually a 15 minute drive to the vet's office took around 45. Traffic was crawling and the roads were getting really, really bad rather quickly. Visibility was pretty crumby, too. But I made it to the vet's office in one piece, only to discover multiple CLOSED signs on the door and windows. How frustrating. I should have called, but I figured if they were going to close early, it would be a little later than they did. The drive home was just as frustrating, but I made it home in one piece.

When I got home, I unpacked the lunch I brought to work and ate it. I was starving. And that got me to thinking about what I'm going to do for dinner. I've been on such a hummus kick and that's all I could think about. But I'm out of hummus. I thought it over and decided I needed it, so back on with the shoes and out the door to the supermarket. Luckily I live within walking distance and hoofed it there. It's funny, but I was making better time than most of those on the road. Traffic was heavy and it wasn't moving.

Got home, did my first shoveling of the sidewalk and driveway. Talked to Ken and found out he now has a different flight home. His current flight was on Sunday afternoon. He's now scheduled to fly tomorrow from Kentucky to Cleveland, then from Cleveland to Newark, then from Newark to Manchester, NH. There are so many things that can (and probably will) go wrong for him between now and then. Once he's safely back in NH, he needs to decide whether or not to stay the night with his sister or come straight home before the next storm. Ugh.

I noticed something odd about my local newspaper's website today that I've never noticed before. This morning I was checking the weather forecast and it said that the snowfall totals are expected to be 11.91 inches. In this day and age, don't you think they can get a little more specific with their predictions? WTF? 11.91? I just checked it out again and it's been downgraded to only 9.66 inches. Do we really need the decimals?

Today's Christmas song is one my friend Wendy turned me on to. It's cheesy and it's definitely from a different time, but I really like it a lot.


4 comments:

Gregg P. said...

Two things:

1. POOR KEN!!! If he manages to get home after all those different connections you had BETTER be nice to him!

2. Ray Coniff and the Ray Conniff Singers = Christmas to me. As completely cheeseball as it is, the Ray conniff "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" album is the sound of the holidays in my mind...

(F)redddy said...

Who is this "Ken" person you keep talking about?

Breenlantern said...

Ken's away...you're home alone...I have hummus...howzabout I come over and be your christmas bride? After we read all your comics, of course...and finish the hummus...

Walt said...

Sean,

I've had my Aquaman soft pants on for hours waiting for you to show up with comics, hummus and a wedding ring. I'm about to do to bed, alone and disappointed.