1.29.2017

018 Batman And The Outsiders Vol 1


This is a book I loved back in the day.  It wasn't my favorite, but I really did love this book.  I'm a sucker for team books.  This came out during the height of the popularity of The New Teen Titans, my favorite book of the 80s.  It used the formula that Titans used when it came out.  Take a handful of established characters, sprinkle in a couple new ones and voila, super-team.

The team formed by sheer luck.  Batman had just quit the JLA because the team vowed to stay out of Markovia during civil unrest.  Batman wasn't having it because Lucius Fox was in Markovia and was kidnapped.  So Batman recruited Black Lightning and the two of them went in to rescue Lucius.  Along the way, they met up with Metamorpho, Katana, Geo-Force and Halo.  Mission accomplished, they returned to America and formed their own superteam.

The writing in this book is just as cliched and subpar as I remembered, but the art by Jim Aparo is stunning.  Still to this day I look at it and oooh and ahhh at it.  As off as the writing is, it was still a really fun read and it brought me back to my youth in the 80s.  And as much as I gushed about the Showcase line of books a few posts ago, reading this in full color and reading this in the Showcase format are two totally different beasts.

That cover, too.  That cover is just beautiful to me.

Batman And The Outsiders Vol 1
Writer: Mike Barr
Artist: Jim Aparo, Bill Willingham, Steve Lightle, Pablo Marcos
DC Comics

No comments: