1.08.2017

001 Metal Men: Full Metal Jacket

This blog has been sitting here and collecting dust for a while now.  I've decided that I want to track what I'm reading this year, and this is as good a place as any to track.  So I'm going to do very short blog posts about the books I'm reading during the course of 2017.


The first book I finished was Metal Men: Full Metal Jacket.  It collects the stories that originally ran in the Legends Of Tomorrow mini-series.  I already read the Firestorm trade and was pleasantly surprised by it, so I thought I would try this.  Len Wein has never been my favorite writer, but he was always reliable to turn out entertaining stories.  It's been years and years since I've read anything he's written, so I was wary.  I shouldn't have been.  I really enjoyed this book.  Len immediately found the heart of this team, something that's been missing for years.  I find the New 52 character designs to be rather distracting.  I think the original designs work best.  Very simple designs.  There's a way to use those, even with an update, and still seem modern.  These designs are very 90s looking and kind of awful.  By the end of the story, the team does get a redesign, but they go from bad to worse.  That's the only thing about this book I hated.  

Metal Men: Full Metal Jacket
Writer: Len Wein
Artist: Yildiray Cinar, Trevor Scott
DC Comics

No comments: