2.01.2011

Snowpocalypse!!


I'm really starting to get tired of the term "snowpocalypse" in a big way.  Yes, it's snowing.  Yes, it's been snowing a lot this winter.  Yes, we're no longer accustomed to this much snow out of a single winter.  But it's not the end of the fucking world.  It's an inconvenience and nothing more.  It's only February 1st.  We've only just entered the snowy part of the winter.  It's going to be a long two months until we're out of all of this.  And I don't know what's worse, all the snow or all the people in the office going on and on like the world is going to end.  Actually, I do know what's worse.  Hurry up spring!

I had every intention of working all day today.  I went in early, like I do every day.  The roads were already getting pretty slick at 6:15, but they were entirely passable.  But the snow was coming down at a pretty good clip.  Much quicker and heavier than I had anticipated.  As the morning progressed, I decided it was probably a good idea to leave early, get a jump start on the driveway and chill out the rest of the day in preparation for tomorrow's bigger snowstorm.  I left in time to catch the 12:55 bus to my parking lot.  Only that bus never came.  I stood outside for 40 minutes (I got to the bus stop ten minutes before the scheduled time) before my bus came.  There was someone else waiting at the stop and when my bus stopped, he asked if that bus was going to his lot. It wasn't.  The man said that his bus was scheduled to be here at that time.  The driver, in a very cool tone, mentioned that because of the rotten conditions out right now that there were no bus schedules today.  They get there when they get there.  That explains why my bus was so late. 

I got to my parking lot only to see that I was slightly plowed in my spot.  


I got out easy enough and the drive home maybe took me 3 minutes longer than usual.  Even though I was going much slower, with no traffic on the road, I made up a lot of time.  The plow had left a snowbank about 3 to 4 feet tall at the foot of my driveway.  I decided that it wasn't going to be enough to stop me so I plowed right through.  And got stuck half way up the driveway.  Joy.  


I spent the next hour digging myself out and cleaning out the driveway so that Ken could get up it and into the garage when he got home.  My sciatic nerve is already giving me a few choice words about shoveling.  I can only image what it's going to say tomorrow when the light and fluffy snow of today is replaced with the wet and heavy snow.  Maybe I can find a heating pad to mediate our discussions.


I really do love how everything looks when it's covered with fresh snow.  The world looks like it's a peace.  I especially love the look when there's ice involved, no matter how dangerous it really is.  The above photo is my backyard as of 4 o'clock this afternoon.  We've got another foot to foot and a half coming.  I can't wait to see how pretty it's all going to look tomorrow.

No comments: