I mentioned the other night that I was taking today off from work.  The reason was because the exterminator was coming to set traps in the attic.  For the last few weeks, Ken's been convinced we have a mouse.  He keeps hearing something in the wall and Ollie kind of just stares at one wall in particular for hours at a time.  I thought he was overreacting when he said he called the exterminator, but he's prone to overreact and after nearly 17 years, you'd think I'd be used to it by now.  So the guy comes out on Friday to do an inspection and he doesn't find any evidence that we have mice, but he does find evidence of squirrels and chipmunks, as well as a big hornets nest in the attic.  Arrangements are made for someone to come and put traps in the attic, remove the nest and whatever else has to be done.  Our appointment was for 8 to 9 am today.  I took the day off to let them in to set the traps.  The rest of the day I planned on spending on myself, maybe go shopping and treat myself to lunch.  At 10 o'clock I called to find out where the hell my guy way.  I got a lot of run around on the phone and was ultimately told that my appointment was cancelled and rescheduled for late afternoon.  What's awesome about this is they never called to let us know this.  I kind of had a little hissy fit on the phone and was promised that someone would be there as soon as possible.  I was promised between 12:30 and 2.  I was really annoyed because I was basically being kept prisoner in my own home.  Since I knew I had at least 2 1/2 hours, I went to the gym to work out some of the aggression I was feeling.  I didn't realize how pissed off I was until I saw I did nearly 9 miles in one hour.  I think that might be a new record.  As the afternoon ticked on and no one was showing up, I called back.  This time it was about 1:45.  When I was told that the guy wasn't even on his way yet, I kind of exploded.  I was NOT happy.  And I made sure the person at the office I was speaking with knew this.  I was mindful to not scream at her, but I just started going off about how unprofessional this was, what a horrible first impression her company was giving, how I'm stuck waiting when I have to get to work (okay, so I lied about that, but still, I was PISSED.)  The guy finally showed up at 2:45.  

Now if this wasn't bad enough, I made the mistake of calling Ken after I called them the first time.  I just wanted to let off some steam, but since he's the world's biggest co-dependent, this exploded in my face.  This led him to keep calling me to offer "advice."  Ken's "advice" is hardly that.  And if that wasn't bad enough, I get home from the gym to find him sitting on the couch.  He came up with a bullshit excuse to come home to check up on me.  As if I wasn't already pissed off enough about the exterminator, he just made it worse.  Finally, once the exterminator was gone, I headed out of the house.  I needed to get out and have a little "me" time.  I'm not in the car 10 minutes before he called and decided it was best that we had an early dinner.  Honestly, it was the last thing in the world I wanted at the time, but if you know Ken, if I didn't give in, he would just make it worse.  Not in a malicious kind of way, but in a he-thinks-he's-being-helpful kind of way.

This was not the day off I had envisioned.  I'm kind of emotionally spent and may actually climb into bed.  It's not even 9 o'clock.  How sad is that?

No comments: