11.26.2009

Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving usually marks the start of a couple of things. The Christmas (shopping) season officially starts with Thanksgiving. Sure, the stores have been decorated for Christmas for a few weeks already and Christmas music has been playing since Halloween, but for the most part, the season really doesn't kick off until now. It's also the beginning of the time of year when we seem to take a step back and start thinking about ourselves. For Thanksgiving, we're supposed to think of all the things we're thankful for, which leads into Christmas, where we're supposed to think of others and then finally into New Year's, where we're supposed to look back on the year that has passed and look forward to the year to come. All of it, if you ask me, seems a bit ridiculous. Why are all these things mandated for this time of year? Why not all year long, every day? Whatever. But even if I think it's a crock, it doesn't stop me from thinking about it. I spent a little while this morning thinking about what I'm thankful for. The same things everyone else is thinking about, I'm sure. The great friends I have and the new friends I've made this year. The relationships I got a chance to work on this year. A job that I absolutely love. A partner who would do absolutely anything for me. My (nearly) perfect cats. My family, even though they drive me NUTS. Even though I still have enough wrong with me, I'm thankful I have my health.

Ken and I went down to my parents' house for the afternoon. My mom made the full Thanksgiving Day spread, just like every year. I planned on behaving myself today, I really did. But five minutes out of the house and I'd already blown it. We stopped at Dunkin Donuts for something to eat on the way down. I got a chocolate chip muffin, probably my favorite item on the DD menu. I've got to tell you, it was delicious. I justified it in my head because I had the best weigh in I've had in months today. When we got to my mom's house, just out of curiosity, Ken looked up the Weight Watchers points for what we had. He had some egg & cheese wrap thingie that was 8 points. My muffin, on the other hand, was 14 points. To give it some perspective, my total daily points total is 31. I shot almost half my load with that one muffin.

Dinner was great. It was the first solid meal I've eaten since having my teeth done last week. It's still a little awkward eating as I'm still getting used to the new oral landscape while still trying to watch out for the healing gashes. I overdid it on the turkey, but otherwise, I didn't get too crazy. And then I had a ginormous brownie. Didn't need it. Wasn't hungry for it. But it was chocolate and it was screaming for me. And it was amazing. A little while later we had dessert. We brought two pies down from a local restaurant known for their pies. One pumpkin and one dutch apple. I, naturally, needed a slice of each. Pumpkin pie I can take or leave, but this was sooo good that I had a second slice. Again, I wasn't hungry and I didn't need it, but I had to have more. So good. And then, just to make sure everything in the universe was still balanced, I had a little more apple. It's six hours since I last ate and I still feel like I need elastic waisted pants.

Tomorrow I'm planning on doing absolutely nothing, though I know that's not going to happen. I'm off from work. I'm not going out into the Black Friday insanity. I refuse it. I spent way too many years working retail to even find it remotely appealing. Instead, I want to have a day of leisure. I want to sleep in. I want to read comics. I want to get irritated with Ollie for being so far up my ass I can't breath. These are the things I'm looking forward to. What will probably happen, though, is I'll start cleaning, or packing up stuff that needs to move because we're having the floors refinished next week. I'll probably waste four or five hours online doing virtually nothing. I'll probably throw a load of laundry in. And by the time I finally get motivated to relax, the day will be over, Ken will be home and my quiet time will be shot. Let's see how I do. LOL.

Ken showed me something truly horrifying today. He pulled up Madonna's video for True Blue on YouTube. The video is from 1986. Now I know there were a lot of videos back in the day that were just awesome back then, but when you watch them now, they're just so damn cheesy. Awful cheesy, but awful fun. I had this in mind when he started the video, but as I was watching it, I found it hard to believe that this was a professionally done video. I swear that there are high school produced videos out there with higher production values. Madonna has such a tight control on her career that I don't know how she let such a crappy video like this make it out. I know it was still early in her career, but still. Watch and judge for yourself.



1 comment:

Nessa said...

I think True Blue was a high school production. I remember MTV having a contest to make her video and it was a couple of 16 year old girls.

Happy Thanksgiving Walty, I love ya!