1.29.2012

Another Toy Post

I've been spending a lot of spare time in my office organizing, straighten and all that jazz lately.  I don't know if it's because it's winter now and it's okay to do indoor chores or if I'm sick of the office not being 100% the way I like it, but I've been doing it and enjoying the hell out of it.  

I've talked before about the problem I have with collecting action figures.  I'm obsessed with them and I have entirely too many.  And I keep buying them.  They make me happy and ultimately, that's all that counts.  I figured out a way to display more of them with little effort.  I wanted to build a riser to put on top of my bookshelves, but Ken actually found a nice piece of wood that will act as a riser without having build anything.  With that in place, I set out to start unboxing a lot of toys.  Specifically, the ton of DC Universe Classics toys I have.  This is a line of toys I really, really like, but kind of jumped into collecting them a little late.  I can be a snob about things and action figures is definitely something I was snobby about.  I'm a huge fan of the DC Direct line of toys.  Most of them look so nice and there's a lot of care put into them.  When the DC Universe Classics line of toys came out, I didn't think they looked as nice as the DC Direct ones, so I avoided them.  It wasn't until much later that I finally came around and fell in love with the line.  I've been trying to play catch up with them ever since.  There are 20 waves of figures out (22 if you count the two waves of Green Lantern Classics).  Each wave consists generally of 6 figures (or so) and each figure comes with one piece of a bonus figure.  You collect the all the figures in that wave and you can build an extra figure.  Because I've opened only a few of these figures, I've never had a chance to build my bonus characters.  Until now.  And I have to tell you, I had a blast.  They scale of the bonus figures is larger than the standard figures in the line.  And they've chosen characters who are generally bigger in size as part of this line.  Here's what I've managed to assemble so far..


Stel.  This is from the Green Lantern Classics set.


Arkillo from the Green Lantern Classics set.  I'm still missing the Kyle Rayner figure from that set.  So Arkillo has two left legs for the time being, until I can track down a Kyle.


The Anti-Monitor


The Ultra-Humanite


Trigon


Validus


S.T.R.I.P.E.


Bane


My favorite one, so far.  This is Apache Chief from the Super Friends cartoon.  He's awesome!

I have a bunch of figures from some of the other waves, but no enough to complete any more characters.  My partials include:


Kilowog.  Poor guy is just a leg and nothing more.


Darkseid.  He's got an arm and two legs.  Better than Kilowog.


Giganta.  This one I'm particularly anxious to build.  She's awesome.


Atom Smasher.  At least the three parts I have for him all connect.


Despero.  Just one arm.


Kalibak

The other Collect And Connect figures are Metamorpho, Gorilla Grodd, Solomon Grundy, Metallo, Chemo and Imperiex.  I'm always on the lookout for more of these figures and now I've got extra room for them.

No comments: