9.22.2017

137 Batman '66 Meets Steed And Mrs. Peel


I read the Batman '66 series when it first came out and while it was fun at first, it got old quick.  At least for me.  However, these occasional mini-series have more than redeemed the book for me.  This one was particularly fun.

Here we have Batman and Robin teaming up with Steed and Mrs. Peel.  I have to admit I never watched the Avengers and have read very little Steed and Peel, but knowing a lot about them isn't necessary.  

This adventure starts in Gotham City and spans all the way to England, covering both teams' home bases.  I'm not familiar with the Steed & Peel villain, so I don't know if they're brand new or canon, but they mesh well with the choice of Bat Villains used in this tale.

There are two highlights of this book for me.  The first is the tone of the book.  It's not as campy as the Batman '66 books can be, but it doesn't lose the camp, either.  It's a controlled camp and it makes the book extra enjoyable.  The other highlight is the art of Matt Smith.  I think he's incredible every day of the week, but this was really beautiful to look at.  I don't know if it's all free hand art or if he used video stills for some of the panels.  I can't tell.  Either way, it's gorgeous art that fits the book like a glove.

Batman '66 Meets Steed And Mrs. Peel
Writer: Ian Edginton
Artist: Matthew Dow Smith
DC Comics / Boom! Studios

No comments: