2.26.2017

035 Cosmic Odyssey: The Deluxe Edition


I read this when it first came out in the late 80s.  I remember nothing about the book.  So this was a good test to see how it holds up thirty years later.

It holds up damn well.  I had a great time reading it.  Jim Starlin loves cosmic stories.  He's known for cosmic stories.  This was a cosmic story.  Mike Mignola draws so beautifully.  Each page here was a treat.  His take on a lot of these characters was a real joy.

I'm not big on the New Gods.  I'm sure that's sacrilegious to say, but they've never been my favorites.  Though two of my favorite New Gods are featured here.  I love Metron and Lightray.  I love how polar opposite they are.  I love how polar opposite they look.  Mignola drew them in his own style without ever losing the original Kirbyness of them.  Such a great job.  There were also some stunning full page illustrations.  I can't get over how beautiful this book is.

One thing I'd completely forgotten was the whole Xanshi storyline.  Well, I hadn't forgotten it because it's still mentioned often enough, but I'd forgotten that lasting plot point happened here. In this book.  These mini-series are usually self-contained stories that don't bleed over into the proper universe with lasting effects. But this one did.  Thirty or so years later.

This book is a great read.

Cosmic Odyssey: The Deluxe Edition
Writer: Jim Starlin
Artist: Mike Mignola, Carlos Garzon
DC Comics  

No comments: