Catching Up

It's been a busy week for me.  Busier than usual.  To quickly recap:

Monday night, Ken and I took that long dreaded (by me) trip and signed up at the local gym.  I've been crabbing about it long enough and finally just did it.  I figure the only way to work through my gym-phobia is to join one and go.

Tuesday night was the first night I went.  It made me remember that walking on a treadmill is a lot harder than walking around the neighborhood, even if you're walking at the same speed.  With the treadmill, it keeps you going at the same pace whereas walking outside, you constantly change your speed.  I was drenched by the time I finished my first workout.  And I was proud of myself that I did it.

Wednesday night Ken and I both went.  I did another hour on the treadmill.  He did about 1/2 hour and then waited for me to finish.  I'm proud of him for going in the first place.  His foot has been killing him and he had a perfectly good excuse to not go, but he did it.

Thursday night I was exhausted from work, but I planned on going.  Didn't happen, though.  I had a bunch of errands to run and had to get ready to leave for the weekend.  

Friday Ken and I headed to NYC for the weekend.  Our friends George and Steve have been wanting us to come back down for a while.  We haven't been to their place in about two years, so Ken and Steve, planners both, took the reins and planned the trip.  George and I spent Friday at the New York ComicCon.  I haven't been to a big con in many, many years.  I believe the last time was San Diego in 1988.  The New York show was bigger than that particular San Diego one was, though not quite as busy as the San Diego one currently is.  I think they were expecting between 90 and 95 thousand attendees this year.  I think San Diego gets about 125.  Another year or two and they'll be equally as big.

I had a lot of fun, though things didn't quite work out like I'd hoped.  George got hung up at work and couldn't meet me when I got there, so I was on my own.  I sent a text to Stevie from the Comic Book Queers podcast, hoping he was going to be there at the same time.  And he was!!  I went over to meet him in person.  He's even more awesome in real life than on the internet.  That sounds odd, but you know what I mean.  He's so damn cute and he's tall and he's funny and he's charming.  My crush on him only intensified.  :-)  He was there with Laura from the Geektress podcast and I got the chance to hang out with them for an hour or so.  By then George was at the show and I bid a fond adieu and searched him out.  We played text tag for a little bit before connecting.  We poked around a little bit and then started playing text tag with our friend Michael, who was in town from California.  We finally found him and the three of us wandered aimlessly.  We met up with another friend, Rich, who was working the show.  I had a lot of fun with my friends, but before I knew it, the show was winding down for the day and I didn't get a chance to load up on books and shirts and toys like I hoped to.  I did end up with a Batgirl and a Batwoman shirt and two trade paperbacks.  Oh, and George surprised me with an action figure I was looking at!

Friday night the Geektress girls were having a party and I was tempted to go, but by the time we got back to George's place, it was too late.  We (being Ken and I and George and Steve) called out for pizza, played cards and hung out.  It was nice.

Saturday we spent the whole day with G&S.  Lunch was spent at George's parents' place.  His mother made a great spread.  Dinner was out at a Turkish restaurant.  I was a little afraid of it, I'll admit, but I found it amazing.  I had a lamb and eggplant dish that was incredible.  Steve gave me a bite of his salmon.  Again, it was amazing.  I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Today we needed to be on the road relatively early.  Our catsitters were gone and it was our turn to start catsitting for them.  When I got home, I headed straight for the gym.  I love Sunday afternoons there.  There must have been 15 people in the place.  I LOVE that.  A little while after I got home I decided today would be a better day to go grocery shopping than tomorrow.  All my chores outside the house are now done and I can take tomorrow to sleep in and do whatever I want.

Oh, I forgot to mention, but on the way down to NYC, we stopped at the Woodbury Commons outlets.  I wanted to go to the Converse Outlet.  My timing for the place was perfect.  They had just marked down almost everything on the clearance wall to $9.97.  Guess who walked out with six more pairs of sneakers?

No comments: