10.13.2009

A Short One

I'm trying to stick to my new self-imposed time limits on the computer and tonight's just expired two minutes ago. But I'll bend the rules to post a quick blog. At least I'm being productive and not being sucked into another Bejeweled Blitz hole. Again.

Next Monday I've got a dentist appointment. Routine cleaning. And I expect to be lectured on my wisdom teeth again. I get the talk every six months when I go in. My bottom wisdom teeth grew in sideways. The tops of them stick out of the back of my mouth, but they cause problems with food getting caught in between them and the teeth in front of them. Both teeth have cavities and my dentist keeps telling me I have to have them out. To be honest, I'm a little freaked out about it. In order to remove them, they'll need to be cut out. The thought of oral surgery isn't a happy thought. And I've talked to friends and co-workers who have had this done and the stories are a little on the scary side. But over the weekend, I woke up in the middle of the night with a toothache in one of those teeth. One of the reasons I haven't done anything about them is they haven't bothered me. Why deal with them if they aren't bothering me, right? (Don't answer that.) I need to do the big boy thing and finally get them taken care of.

Besides the wisdom teeth, I've got other problem teeth. My parents didn't really place much importance on dental hygiene when I was growing up and that's caused me a world of tooth issues. Currently, I need a root canal. I had a crack in one of my molars and my dentist said a crown will fix that without the need of a root canal. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred it solves the problem. So we did the crown only to find out I'm the one that does have a problem. That, too, I've been putting off because of the expense. I know I'm going to need to have that taken care of sooner than later, but I can only do one very uncomfortable thing at a time, and this time it's the wisdom teeth. I have one other molar that's starting to give me a little bit of trouble, but I don't know if that's just a filling that needs replacing (fingers crossed) or worse. I'll find out next week.

Go teeth!!

1 comment:

wcs said...

Ugh! Tooth problems are no fun. I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 21. The dentist gave me the choice: in the chair with a local anesthetic or in the hospital overnight with a general. I took the hospital. They put me out and I woke up later with fewer teeth. No fuss, no muss.

I'll bet, however, that there are very few insurance companies that would pay for that these days.