2.15.2009

I don't know why, but I never allow myself to sleep. I'm walking through life feeling run down and tired all the time and it's because I don't get enough sleep. This morning, for instance. It's Sunday and I set the alarm to go off at 5:30. Was there any place I needed to be? No. Was there anything I needed to do? No. I did get up to go walking and grocery shopping, but I didn't need to get up that early to do it. It's 8:30 now and I'm done with all the things I wanted to do. The rest of the day is a blank slate now and I do like the idea of that. I'll bet I pass out this afternoon when I sit down to read.

Yesterday was a day I was actually planning on sleeping in. For real. But Ken wanted to take a road trip to the closest Trader Joe's. We don't have one here in Albany, but there's one about an hour and forty-five minutes away in Hadley, Mass. It was a nice day for a drive, so I agreed. It seems kind of foolish to drive nearly two hours to go to a grocery store, doesn't it? I loved what I saw there, however. People lucky enough to have a local Trader Joe's are always singing it's praises and I can understand why now. They've got a really cool mix of things. We loaded up on all sorts of things (including hummus, like you'd have to ask.) Almost directly next door is a Whole Foods, another store we don't have here, but I'd love to have. I wasn't very impressed by the store. I'm not sure if it was the store, though, or the clientele. Everyone seemed to either have a stick firmly placed up their ass or a brood of unruly children that they refused to keep in check. All I know is I was feeling increasingly uptight as we shopped the aisles and was so happy to finally be out of there. All in all it was a fun shopping trip. I'm glad we went.

I got the biggest surprise when we got home from the trip. I asked Ken if he would please clean the bathroom (a job I just hate more than anything) and not only did he agree to do it, but he also helped me clean some of the rest of the house. I know it was all motivated by guilt. He does any amazing job of trashing the house, but he rarely lifts a finger to pick up. I'm left to do the bulk of the housework. What I find funny about all this is Ken does a much better job of cleaning than I do. I'm okay at cleaning (and you'd think I'd be better considering I'm the only one who does clean), but he's great. We've been in our house for 5 or 6 years now and yesterday was the first time that he vaccuumed the stairs. Don't think he didn't make a point of letting me know that, either. Because he did. A BIG point about it.

I don't know what's going on today, but tomorrow I'm looking forward to more than any other day this weekend. First of all, it's a day off of work, which is a huge plus, but Ken's planning on going in to his office to catch up on work. I live for these days when I have the day to myself. I thrive on solitude. It'll give me a chance to recharge my batteries. I've worn myself to the ground lately and I need a day. Now I'm trying not to get my hopes up for the solitude only because Ken makes these plans all the time. He actually makes it in to work maybe 1 out of every 8 times he says he's going in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Just another southern gay guy said...

I, too, love hummus. I don't buy it/ear it nearly enough. One can never have hummus often enough.

(F)redddy said...

Awwwwwww, Nanna helped clean. I love Nanna. You know...I've never been to a Trader Joe's. We live down the street, though, from the VERY FIRST Whole Foods Market and we're in the shadow of the Whole Foods Mother Ship...so I'm quite familiar with the clientele of which you speak.