3.11.2017

039 Deathstroke Vol 1: The Professional


I haven't been a fan of Deathstroke in a long time.  As is a running theme in this blog, it's because of the New 52 reinterpretation of the character.  That version is so far removed from the actual Deathstroke that I just don't care anymore.  I read a couple issues of the New 52 relaunch and completely wrote off the character.  For good.  Or so I thought.

A friend gave me this trade to read.  Against my better judgement, I did read it.  I say "against my better judgement" because I hate this version of the character and I'm not a fan of Christopher Priest.  I don't really like his writing.  But I read it.  And I have to admit, I kind of liked it.  As is a theme with many of the Rebirth titles, Priest took the New 52 version and has stripped back as much of the new stuff as he could, returning Slade Wilson back to where he was in the past.  Or as close as he could.  Things still aren't quite the same, but we're in the neighborhood.

If I had to find one fault in this trade, it's the use of flashbacks.  I don't mind this tool, but in this book it felt too jarring to me.  But otherwise, I found it to be a good read.  And I'm willing to come back for more.

Deathstroke Vol 1: The Professional
Writer: Christopher Priest
Artist: Carlo Pagulayan, Jason Paz, Larry Hama, Joe Bennett, Mark Morales, Belardino Barbo
DC Comics

No comments: