2.02.2014

Comics

I was due to get my bi-weekly shipment of comics on Friday, but earlier in the week, my distributor sent out an email alerting everyone that books will probably be a day or two late as more weather issues across the country delayed their incoming shipment of books by a day.  I didn't think anything about it.  I did check the front porch Friday afternoon and there weren't any packages, but I wasn't expecting any.  Saturday morning Ken found my delivery on the front porch.  It must have come while we were out at dinner.  So that was a pleasant surprise, though I was going to use the weekend to make a little progress in my backlog.  I'll need to do a post about that someday.

Anyway, this is what I got this week:


For trade paperbacks, I got the latest Young Avengers and Batwing.  I wasn't going to follow Young Avengers when it came back because I loved what Allan Heinberg did with the book and he wasn't going to be writing this series, but so far, I'm loving it.  I believe it just got cancelled, though, which sucks, but Marvel keeps doing that with everything.  Start a new series, cancel it, start it over again, cancel it, start it over again.  I don't like that.  At all.  Start a book and stick with it, dammit.  Batwing was one of the pleasant surprises of the New 52 for me.  I think everything changes with this volume, though, so I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

The other two books I got were The Creature Commandos and Doctor Who.  I somehow missed this volume of Doctor Who when it first came out.  I only realized it when I was filing the latest volume away.  The Creature Commandos is going to be bad, I can just feel it, but I have fond memories of the strip when it ran in Weird War Tales back in the 80s.  We'll see how it holds up.


As for regular books, this shipment brought all three Justice League books, World's Finest (and Annual), Earth Two Annual, Batman, Batgirl, Batwoman, Aquaman and two of the Forever Evil tie-in mini-series.  I was surprised at how many floppies I got this time around.  I'm not reading very much on a monthly basis anymore, favoring the collected editions instead.  Most of what I have here is pretty damn good.  I'm kind of bored with the Justice League books right now because those characters are central to the Forever Evil mini-series, so things have been kind of quiet in them with most of the good stuff taking place in the actual mini-series.  I really like the Forever Evil: A.R.G.U.S. story, but the others not so much.  Batgirl has always been a solid read, as has Batman.  Batwoman is a book I really like, but there's been a creative team change and I haven't gotten a solid grip on where the book is heading yet.  Same with Aquaman.  And Earth 2 just went through the same creative team shake up and seems to be continuing on as a terrific read.  World's Finest, too, is a good read.  I've always loved the Huntress and Power Girl and am so happy they've been given a chance in the New 52.  While they just aren't quite the same characters, they're close and I've been enjoying the book.


No comments: