6.05.2009

Well...

I've got a headache tonight. It's kind of annoying and it won't go away. I've had it for two days. Yesterday was way worse than today, so I should be grateful for that, at least. With any luck, it will be gone tomorrow. I'm not sure why I've got it, but I did notice how yellow my driveway was today. There's a lot of pollen in the air. Also, Monday night, while trying to reposition myself in bed (the cats had me laying in the most awkward and uncomfortable position), I managed to slam my forehead against the corner of my nightstand, hard enough to give myself a little cut. With my luck, I've dislodged my brain and I'm going to end up brain damaged. Story of my life.

Yesterday was our fifteenth anniversary. It's hard to believe that Ken and I have been together that long. Fifteen years is a long time. Some days it feels longer, some days not so much. We decided to go out to dinner to celebrate and wanted to go somewhere nice. We were originally going to go to the Barnsider. It's a really nice place, the food is always excellent. We only go there on special occasions, it seems, and this was a pretty special one. But Ken changed plans at the last minute. His boss keeps telling him about a place out by her that is supposed to be amazing. An Italian restaurant called Villa Valente. We tried going there one night but couldn't find the place. When he suggested it yesterday, I wasn't keen on it, but I gave in because I knew he really wanted to try it. I don't really like Italian restaurants. Most everything on the menu is something I try to stay away from for one reason or another. Usually it's because of dieting reasons, but it's also because I don't enjoy a bunch of things commonly found in Italian cooking. I'm picky. Sue me. But we went. And for a fifteenth anniversary dinner, it really sucked ass. We had a very unattentive waitress. It took me a while to find something that looked good on the menu that I could eat and not completely sabatoge my diet. I got the braciole. It looked pretty good on the menu. The description and the actual meal were two totally different things. What I was expecting was a thin steak rolled around some cheese and spices. What I got was more akin to meatballs. And they weren't very good meatballs, either. My vegetables were pure mush and the potato was rock hard. That meal alone was enough to make me never want to go back. But something else happened that will assure that I never step foot back there. As we're getting ready to leave, Ken just happened to look up at the salad bar. A woman with a "to go" salad was there just about to put the salad dressing on when she decided to try one of the dressings first. And how did she try one? Well, she picked up the ladle out of the Italian dressing and drank it right out of it. And then put it back. I've never ever seen anything quite like that before. I'm getting all grossed out thinking about it. But I need to keep in mind the clientele of this place. It's out in a very redneck area. FrankenKlinger, whom I work with, lives nearby. Need I say more?

Not much else to report from this week. It's been quiet, just the way I like it.

3 comments:

MattyMalone said...

Hey, I live in Redneckville, NY and sucking ladle is NOT acceptable here, either! :-)

wcs said...

Well, happy anniversary anyway. I suppose a crystal ladle is not an appropriate gift.

Kevin said...

Yum~