12.04.2011

Finally

Every weekend my plan is generally the same.  I plan to do nothing but the essential things that need doing and spend the rest of the time relaxing.  For some reason, I have lost the ability to do nothing.  I find things to do that take me away from relaxing and then I regret it the rest of the weekend.  

This weekend was different.  Sure, I still managed to find a distraction, but it was one I needed.  On my way to the supermarket yesterday afternoon, I got the urge to go find the street I grew up on.  I've been feeling very nostalgic again, probably because Mom is still heavy in my thoughts.  The place I consider the house I grew up in is one I lived in from the time I was about 2 until 10.  After that, my family moved around a lot before settling down in my mid teens.  Driving up the old street was pretty sad.  The first house on the street belonged to the Kelly family.  There was a SOLD sign out front.  Mr. Kelly passed away shortly before my Mom did.  His wife passed away a few years ago and their son lives in western NY now.  The house next door belonged to the Talberts.  I recently reconnected with Nancy Talbert, who is about my brother's age.  It was then that I found out that her brother Tommy, who was my age, passed away a couple of years ago.  Next to their house was my old house.  It's weird, but the house looks so small now.  It was huge when I was growing up, but now it isn't.  None of the houses on my old street are.  It's funny how the eyes of a child and the eyes of an adult view things so differently.  

I enjoyed the drive through my old town.  It's been years since I've done it, but hopefully won't be before I do it again.  

No comments: