11.02.2011

The Curley Luck

My Dad always said that if it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.  Lately, I would have to agree with him.  It seems I'm in the middle of a particularly bad bad luck streak.  Nothing seems to be going quite the way I've planned things.  Things seemed to have taken a bad turn in September.  Let's recap:


  • Mom went into the hospital on September 2 with back pain only to find she had terminal cancer with just weeks left to live.
  • Ken and I were all set to get married on October 1.  Unfortunately, that's the week Mom passed away and instead held her funeral that weekend.
  • I took a weekend trip to New York to attend the New York Comic Con.  The morning I left for New York, I woke up with a very sore throat.  By the end of that day, I had completely lost my voice.
  • Ken and I made plans to spend the Labor Day weekend with our friends Eric & Brett in New York.  The trip had to be cancelled because that's the weekend Mom ended up in the hospital.
  • We had another trip planned, this time to Connecticut for Ken's cousin's wedding.  Again, this had to be cancelled due to Mom's failing health.
  • We got in the car to go down to Dad's house two weeks ago.  As soon as we hit the highway, the car started doing all sorts of horrible things.  We turned around, got it to the garage only to find out we were minutes from a total breakdown.  I don't even want to discuss how much money the repairs cost.
  • The mortgage refinance we just went through was FROM HELL!  Nuff said.
  • This weekend we drove to New Jersey for our friend Gregg's birthday party.  Naturally, a freak autumn Nor'easter hits and we drive three hours in the snow to arrive at another friend's house.  When we arrived, the tree in his front yard had just fallen into the driveway, taking down some power lines.  About an hour after we got there, the electricity failed.  The roads were too bad for us to venture to the party, instead living like the Ingalls family for the night with no heat or power.


I could go on, but I won't.  I'm sick of the shitty luck.  I'm ready for things to turn around and for something good to happen.  I don't think that's asking too much.

No comments: