Bedroom Makeover

Here we have a couple of "before" shots of the master bedroom.  Redoing the room has been pretty low on our priority list because the bedroom isn't one of the public rooms.  The downstairs living space and the upstairs guest rooms took top priority.  Now that it's coming up on one year in this house, it was about time to finally get around to painting the room.  I don't know exactly how much you can tell from just the pictures, but the paint job the prior owners did was for shit.  Parts of the walls were glossy, parts were flat, parts showed through the other paint color.  They really did the worst paint job one could possibly do.  Also notice that there is crown molding up.  If you look closely, you'll see that it was installed upside down, not to mention poorly.  The room was just a mess.

In the year we've been here, Ken has had many ideas on what to paint the room.  You can see he's put all sorts of samples up on the walls.  Not a single one of these choices made the final cut.

This room has always made me feel like I was living in Green Acres.  

We emptied everything we could out of the room.  The bed and the chair were the only things that stayed.  The crown molding came down first, all the holes were spackled and sanded and then the primer went up.

It's a large bedroom, but after the primer went up on the walls, the room felt like it was about half the size to me.  I expected it to feel twice the size with the whiter walls.

Ollie spent most of the remodeling time on the bed, watching.  

The first coat of paint is on the walls.  I think it looks great.  When Ken first opened the can of paint, I think he was shocked.  I think he thought he bought a lighter shade of brown than we actually did.  He instantly hated it.  But once it went up on the walls, he realized how good it looked.

The room started looking bigger once the walls were painted.

Oh, and notice that hideous brass light fixture.  That's outta here!

This is shortly after the second coat of paint was put up.  It looks wet in this picture.  Ken went out curtain shopping and I started painting.  It was glorious, or at least as glorious as painting can be, to be alone with my task.  I work better on my own and Ken can be known to need assistance with everything, so it's hard to make headway when working with him.

The new ceiling fan.  Ken was very proud of himself for installing it.  He's terrified of doing anything electrical. It took a little while to put it up.  What's unfortunate is once it was installed, the fan wouldn't work.  The light worked like a charm, but all we got from the fan was a faint hum.  It was too late to do anything about it by the time it was up, so Ken did some research online to see what the problem could be.  He made a list and the following morning we set out to fix it.  There was a loose connection.  Once that was reattached, we were in business.

One of the purchases for the room.  This mirror is on the wall on the right side of the bed.  Ken wanted something to balance out this wall.  There's a window on the left side of the bed and this mirror is nearly the same size.  He did it so that the bed is now centered between the two.  It also adds even more light to the room.

The room isn't 100% done yet.  We have no art for the walls.  That's Ken's next project.  Because the room has a brown theme, he wants to incorporate color with the art.  He's having trouble finding what he really wants, but he'll find something.

There's the window I mentioned in the mirror picture above.

The brown on the walls is showing a little bit lighter than it looks in person.  I don't know if it's because of how bright the sun was shining or what.  It's a little bit darker.

The room went from being big to feeling massive.  It's amazing how much bigger it feels.

The other project was to replace the nasty, ugly brass light fixture we had hanging in our foyer.  This is our new one and I love it!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Looks Awesome! Can't wait to see it in person