8.02.2009

Weekend Round Up

Okay, here we go with another post of random crap floating around in my head.

* I hit a new all-time lowest adult weight today. I rocked the scale at 186.6 lbs this morning. Again, I don't know how I did this. I've been less restrictive with my diet in hopes of bumping that number up a couple of pounds. I've been doing absolutely no exercise. Zero. Zilch. Zippo. I even did a little drinking this weekend, something I rarely do. I think it's been over a year since I've had an adult beverage. But whatever I'm doing, I'm keeping the weight down. This won't go on for very much longer, though. For one reason, I gorged myself at dinner tonight. And then polished it off with a ginormous bowl of ice cream. For another...

* ...Austin is DAYS away. Twelve and counting. I know there's going to be lots of food around. Lots of food. I know my awesome host has been planning out menus and restaurants and all that stuff. I secretly think his plan is to fatten me up enough to be too big to fly so I can't go home, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I'm so looking forward to going to Texas. More than I can say. And seeing all these people. Her, her, her and her, him, him and him among others. Just getting away for a little while is something I really need. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but this is my first vacation away from Ken in the fifteen years we've been together. It's about time. He's gone away without me, but I've never done it myself. These next twelve days are going to drag.

* This weekend was my 25 year high school reunion. I've never been to one of my reunions, and probably with good reason. I really haven't ever had any interest in going. I was never one of the popular kids, never had a tremendous amount of friends. I've kept in touch with virtually no one I went to school with. Those that I have have mostly been from the class of '85, not '84. After the last reunion five years ago, my friend Maria (from the class of '84) gave me plenty of shit and told me there was no way I wasn't going to the next. So for the last five years I've had it in the back of my head that I'm going. I made plans to meet Maria and her husband John and we'd go up together. Unfortunately, plans changed slightly and she had some stuff to take care of just prior to going, so we decided to just meet there. I arrived first and my anxiety went through the ceiling. I lingered around and knew no one. Sure, I recognized a bunch of people, but I didn't know them back then. I grabbed a drink and waiting until I recognized someone. I heard someone say "Norman!" and I looked around, knowing that one of my good friends from high school was named Norman. Sure enough, I knew someone at last. So we chatted for a little bit, I met his wife and had a nice time. I was awkward as all get out (shocker), but I'm glad we talked. Then it was time to mingle for a little bit more. I noticed a woman doing the same thing as I, kind of wandering and not talking to anyone. I didn't feel as bad. Finally, Maria arrived and my anxiety dropped considerably. I had a crutch. The cool thing about Maria is she knows EVERYONE. So I got to talk to people I didn't know but knew of. And it was nice. Eventually, the wandering woman came up to Maria, naturally. And we hung out all night long. Turns out this woman, Kim, and I are Facebook friends already. We talked and turns out we have a lot in common. I didn't recognize her until I saw her yearbook picture. She looks nothing like she did back then. She was cute then, she's cute now, but not in an 80s way! I eventually ran into a few people I knew from back then, one of which currently lives about two miles from me. At one point during the evening, I looked up and saw someone I had hoped would be there, a woman named Diane. I have nothing but fond memories of Diane. We didn't hang out really, but we shared classes and she was always so nice to me. It took most of the rest of the night for me to work up the courage to go talk to her (well, it's not that bad. She was always what looked like in intense conversations all night. I was mostly waiting for a break) but I'm so glad I did. She's just as amazing now as she was then. I really need to send her an email when I get a chance.

The reunion was set from 7 until 11. At 12:45, I was one of the last people out. Some took the party to a local bar, but since it was nearly 1am and I still had an hour drive ahead of me, I begged out.

Maria and Kim really wanted me to come down on Saturday night, too. They were going to crash the reunion dinner after the fact. I really considered going, but I was feeling pretty run down all day Saturday. We wouldn't be going until 10pm and the way I was feeling didn't make it possible. I really do hope I can get down and see both Maria and Kim sometime in the near future. I had such a good time. I'm really glad I went. You know, I've been trying to change my way of thinking. I have plenty of regret in my life (I think I've said in the past) and I'm going to gain new regrets in the future. Most of my regrets are for things I wish I did, but didn't. If I'm going to regret something, I want to regret doing it or trying it, not the other way around. It's so easy for me to shut the world out and become a hermit. It's something I'm very comfortable with. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can't be my entire life.

* We almost had a free KitchenAid mixer for whoever wanted one. Ken decided he wanted to make homemade banana bread today. Where that came from I have no clue. So he got his mixer out and proceeded to take the one attachment off. And tried. And tried. And tried. He spent 20 minutes trying to get the attachment off and got more and more frustrated with each minute. He called me in to help and I couldn't do it. It's been maybe three years since he's used it (seriously) and that thing was stuck. After about a half hour, he gave up, brought it out to the front porch and was going to throw it out on Thursday (trash day). When he gets to that level of frustration, there's no talking to him or reasoning with him. I try to keep my patience (and usually fail) and for some reason, I did today. When he was safely back in the kitchen, I started playing with the mixer and after about five minutes, I got the attachment unstuck and off. Crisis averted.

* Top Chef Masters didn't record for me on Wednesday. WTF?

* I bought the Green Lantern dvd that came out this weekend. I was psyched to find the last copy in Best Buy that had the free action figure with it. Yay me. But I didn't get a chance to watch it yet. I was really tired and headachey last night, so I just went to bed instead. Hopefully sometime this week, though. I hear it's really good. I bought the two disc version. I'm a sucker for all the extras, plus my boyfriend Geoff Johns is supposedly in some of the extras.

* I have a sinking feeling that this week is going to be a L O N G , L O N G week. I'm praying it flies.

4 comments:

Kay said...

I think you will very possibly gain at least 5lbs while visiting here. Freddy says you are a "selective eater" but I'm convinced you will be happy and sated with Austin food.

Walt said...

Selective eater, yes, but that doesn't mean I don't eat. Trust me. My goal was to drop enough weight pre-Austin so that I don't have as much to lose post-Austin. I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave there at least ten pounds heavier than when I arrive and the thought is driving me bat shit crazy and not in a good way.

Mandie said...

yay 12 days till your in Austin! And you are the sweetest mam for putting me in your list of peeps you want to see :) I heart you and can't wait to see you
xoxo
Mandie

Unknown said...

I wish I could come down to Austin and visit. I just didn't know the dates so I can't make plans (life of one car family).

would love to meet and meat you in person.