2.18.2018

2018.022 The Immortal Iron Fists


What I look for when I pick a Marvel book these days is (a) characters I adore and (b) something a little lighter and happier.  This book fits both of these items.  I love Iron Fist.  I really don't know when that happened?  Maybe with the Ed Brubaker run?  Maybe when he was in the Avengers?  I really can't remember.  But I've really grown to love the character and have been eating up everything that's come out in the last few years.  

This book was a mini-series that followed up Kaare Andrews run on the book.  This is more the story of Pei, the newest and youngest Iron Fist.  Danny Rand brings her to Earth to both train her and raise her.  He enrolls her in public school to teach her what normal life is like.  It's a real joy to watch Pei not fit in, then totally fit in.  It's great to watch her try to act like a normal kid when she is anything but.  It's great to watch Danny fuck up parenting.  There is nothing to hate about this book other than the fact that it's over.  But that, too, is probably for the best.  There's nothing worse than keeping a book going until it's devoid of something special.  This book ends leaving you wanting more.  I can't recommend this enough.

The Immortal Iron Fists
Written by: Kaare Andrews
Illustrated by: Afu Chan
Marvel Comics

No comments: