7.31.2011

1,200 Mile Update


Today ends another month.  That means an official 1,200 Miles update.  As of this writing, I've gone 1,925.68 miles either by walking around the neighborhood, walking on the treadmill, riding the stationary bike or using the elliptical.  In my wildest dreams I never thought I would have made it this far.  And I still have five months left to run my total up.  I figure that if I maintain this pace, I'll have no trouble hitting 3,000 miles before it starts getting too cold out.  I'm so proud of myself for not only working towards this goal, but never wavering.  It helps that I get very competitive with myself.  And I obsess.  I constantly try to outdo myself.  There are a lot of days I just want to sit in my office and play stupid online games and waste the entire night away, but I still manage to put that out of my head and go do something good for myself.  The me of four years ago would have laughed until he choked if anyone told him that this would be in his future.  That same fat guy still lives inside of me and is constantly trying to make me (and many times succeeding) do bad things to myself.  I do end up feeling extremely guilty every time I falter and end up eating a big bowl of ice cream, so that is progress.  I just wish the will power I had when I first started dieting was still with me.  That first year I wouldn't even look at ice cream or cookies or cake or any of that stuff.  Now it takes everything I have to look away, and I don't succeed as much as I'd like.  But I'm doing something right because I'm maintaining my weight right where I like it.  My stomach has been feeling flabbier than usual lately, which troubles me, but I'm obviously losing someplace else to balance it out.

To put the 1,925 miles into some kind of perspective for me, I looked at Google Maps to see how far that would take me from my house.  It takes me to Saskatchewan, Canada.  Or New Mexico.  Or Colorado.  Or Wyoming.  Or Texas.  It boggles my mind when I look at the map that way.

We're getting closer to getting all the details hammered out for our upcoming wedding.  The biggest hurdle we're facing right now is where we're going to eat.  Ken, I feel, is being too restrictive in his needs/demands and it's annoying me.  I'm trying to just go with the flow and let him have his day, but sometimes that's hard for me to do.  But I'm working on it.  Ultimately, I guess I shouldn't care.  I care more about Ken and the handful of friends that will be on hand than anything else.  I'll just let Ken worry about the details since he's got more issues with them than I.

I'm looking forward to this week.  Sort of.  It's another four day work week.  Friday I go and have the final part of my root canal done, then Monday I get my new crown and this round of dental woes should be done with.  I'm afraid I'm not going to have enough dental benefit left to get the other root canal I'm in need of this year, but I've lived with this tooth the way it is for (I think) three years, so six more months isn't going to kill me.

No comments: