11.24.2017

161 The Demon By Jack Kirby


I've gone on record before stating I'm not a Kirby fan.  I did read his Mister Miracle recently and actually enjoyed it.  Mister Miracle is probably my favorite Kirby creation ever.  The Demon has always been another Kirby creation that I've always liked.  I figured that if I enjoyed Mister Miracle as much as I did, the same could be said for the Demon.

I was wrong.  I really didn't like very much of this.  It was just way too Kirby for my tastes.  Maybe it's because, according to the forward, he created the book, planned to do a little bit with it and pass it off to other creators.  DC didn't let that happen, though, so maybe he didn't put the right kind of energy in the book?  I don't know.  I do know that I only ever recall reading the first issue of this before, so this was all new to me.  I see the base he tried to lay down for the series, but he mostly neglected it.  Other writers took the seeds he planted and worked with them the way they needed to be worked.

I still love the Demon.  I think just about everyone who has touched him since Kirby did a great job with him.  I need to look into more post-Kirby Demon.

The Demon By Jack Kirby
Writer: Jack Kirby
Artist: Jack Kirby, Mike Royer
DC Comics

No comments: