12.03.2017

166 Legion Of Super-Heroes: The Silver Age Omnibus Vol 1


Reading this book was a labor of love.  I have such a fondness in my heart for these early stories of the Legion.  Sure, they're hokey and cheesy, but they're just a pure, innocent joy.

This massive book collects what I believe were the stories in the first three Legion Archives books.  I have those books and now I have this, too, and it was so much fun re-reading them for the first time in years.

I did look at this with a different, maybe more critical eye.  The issue to issue continuity is just plain weird to me.  What I'm talking about is this.  In one issue, we have a new member join.  Let's say it's Lightning Lass.  Then she doesn't appear again for a few issues.  Same with Element Lad.  You'd think that upon introduction, you'd get to see more of the new characters, but that's not how it worked back then.  I don't know if a bunch of stories were commissioned and then published in a random order or what.

There really isn't a ton I can say about these stories that hasn't been said before.  But these are highly enjoyable stories.

Legion Of Super-Heroes: The Silver Age Omnibus Vol 1
Writer: Otto Binder, Jerry Siegel, Edmond Hamilton, Robert Bernstein
Artist: George Papp, Jim Mooney, Curt Swan, John Forte, Sheldon Moldoff, George Klein
DC Comics

1 comment:

Ben said...

WALT(ER)!!!! I have been looking for you, if you are the right person!!! Did you used to work at Records 'N Such and Coconuts? I don't know if you'll remember me. My name is Ben and I used to hang out and bug you at Records 'N Such and Coconuts all the time. I've thought of you over the years, wondered how you were doing, and and googled/facebooked you in vein. Last night, I had a crazily vivid dream that I was hanging out with you at Records 'N Such (not Coconuts, RECORDS 'N SUCH; wood paneling, cassette tape shelves; everything--I had no idea that it was still lurking in my subconscious), and I woke up and remembered your old AOL IM name! I googled it, and it brought me here... If you don't find all of this completely bizarre, and want to chat/e-mail, direct message me at Ben Raphael Sher on facebook and I'll send you my real e-mail address!