3.11.2011

Limitations Are For Pussies

I'm not sure if I don't know my limitations or that I do but just choose to ignore them.  Case in point... I'm getting over a case of strep throat.  It knocked me for a little bit of a loop, but not too bad, considering.  I only took one day off of work, though I could probably have used at least two.  Tonight I convinced myself I was feeling good enough to go to the gym.  Working out was pretty tough.  I didn't realize exactly how limited my lung capacity was until I got up on the elliptical.  I was ready to quit about twelve minutes in, but I pushed myself.  I told myself I could quit at thirty minutes.  Then forty.  And so on and so on.  Needless to say I pushed myself all the way through until my hour was up.  And I felt both amazing and horrible.  I had that post-workout rush happening all at the same time I wasn't able to breathe.  I've been home for about 45 minutes now and I'm just about back to where I was before heading out in the first place.

I really, really need to learn to recognize and respect my limitations.  It's something I've never been good at, but something I desperately need to work on.

No comments: